Culture shocks away from London

Chat about different cultures and customs of other parts of the world here. Tell us more about your own country and what it’s like living there.
Aitch

Culture shocks away from London

Post by Aitch »

Before we left London for the outskirts of London, school and me were a complete mismatch in that I was always taller (name calling etc) and classed as a little slow on the uptake, which left me far from thetop of each class as I journeyed through them. My mother seemed more concerned in finding a replacement for my dead father, so my grandparents were all the time adopting more control over me and a brief move to Acton (then outer London) put me into a school where I fitted in even less. Confronted with this they moved away to Teddington (then Middlesex) and for about a term and a half, my new schooltried to instil the learning ethics into me with some limited success. Then grandfather sold his 1/2 interest in the pawnbrokers we left behind close to the pub, built a bungalow on a piece of bomb damage land still not sorted out and developed, then asked me if I would like to consider a Surrey based boarding school .. yes, okay, anything has to be better than the schools I had experienced before, with the culture shock at each change to go along with the change in location.

WOW, what a difference that made! Luckily I just scraped through the entrance requirements and interview and so my life changed for the better but with another major culture change.  The culture in that school totally reformed the way I was growing up and in many ways moulded me into the major part of the man I still am today. Any trace of London's rough edges were polished away and that included my accent to be replaced with correct pronunciation, grammar and articulation. My slow reading ability was singled out and identified before being shown how to overcome what is now seen as a disability. I made good friends and with the change in culture I was taught how to conduct my self in anyone's company from the monarch downwards and this was to pay dividends later in my working life. End of term always saw me going back to my grandparents and during one such term my mother remarried and moved close to us about 3 miles away. She ried to poke her nose in, but she had not bargained on my newly gained self reliance I was taught and it gave me great pleasure in rebuffing her.
I left that school at 16 with life skills and abilities I would have not gained had I not been placed with them. Also I had absorbed the education bug and I left the school to go directly to college back in Acton where I instantly made a new friend Fredrik and eventually married his sister some years after. . . keep watching for more to follow.
Aitch

RE: Culture shocks away from London

Post by Aitch »

While I was studying in the Engineering Foundation Course at Acton, I became interested in Morris Dance as it had been sort of practiced when I was at boarding school, so along I went with Fred on our motorcycles to seek out some performers just along the Thames in Hammersmith and we enjoyed ourselves with what can be called hop & skip 'dancing' along with copious beer swilling after joining them. All that introduced yet another culture into my life and I still have my two sets of leg bells up in my wardrobe.
For anyone who has no idea what I was talking about, this YouTube clip will demonstrate what I found to be fascinating .. watch for broken fighting sticks LOL. Several years later I played my diatonic accordion for the now disbanded Pinewood Yeomanry Morris Men in South Bucks and danced when others played the music, close to where we lived at the time.
I hope some of you can see what appealed to the inner me ?  

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgQCL809_tI[/video]
Aitch

RE: Culture shocks away from London

Post by Aitch »

Aitch wrote: While I was studying in the Engineering Foundation Course at Acton, I became interested in Morris Dance as it had been sort of practiced when I was at boarding school, so along I went with Fred on our motorcycles to seek out some performers just along the Thames in Hammersmith and we enjoyed ourselves with what can be called hop & skip 'dancing' along with copious beer swilling after joining them. All that introduced yet another culture into my life and I still have my two sets of leg bells up in my wardrobe.
For anyone who has no idea what I was talking about, this YouTube clip will demonstrate what I found to be fascinating .. watch for broken fighting sticks LOL. Several years later I played my diatonic accordion for the now disbanded Pinewood Yeomanry Morris Men in South Bucks and danced when others played the music, close to where we lived at the time.
I hope some of you can see what appealed to the inner me ?  

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgQCL809_tI[/video]
As I have included Morris Dance, I thought it would be a good idea for those not familiar with it if I added a brief history.

The name was first appeared in English during the mid 15th century as Morisk Dance and changed over time as many words have done. It is believed that originally it had pagan roots, although very little is known about folk dancing of the lower classes before the late 16th century. The dance and costume evolved as did face painting, but blackened faces are still seen today in some routines. As far as is known, the dance has always been accompanied by music and various props have been used since records began as can bee seen in the painting with the hobby horse dated c1620. Today several props are still used and the costumes vary for dance and region.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kenty

Re: Culture shocks away from London

Post by Kenty »

Great reading, thank you for sharing.

I love different cultures and traditions, have loved going to weddings of other cultures. I love experience. I love it when people ask me questions about my culture, my upbringing. That's one thing I have always loved about the internet/chatsites/forums. How we have a reach across the divides, make friends with people we may not have tried to with in real life, for many different reasons. Chatting to someone in a different country in real time, experiencing their day to day as they are with us.
Anyway..maybe I need to get out more lol x